If you’re new to our blog, then welcome! We are passionate about writing blogs filled with music content and sharing our experiences and thoughts with our readers. Grab a comfortable seat and a mug of your favourite drink and enjoy listening to these fantastic tunes as we introduce you to some of our best family bands.
What is a family band?
A family band is a group of siblings and sometimes friends who enjoy performing music together. We love being in a family band and performing as 2 of Harps. It has so many positives such as;
- it’s easy to rehearse together
- we get on well and understand each other
- our voices blend well because we are sisters.
But first here are some of the most popular questions we have been asked as a family band…
As sisters who play in a harp duo, which bands inspire you most?
Karina said, “Manchester Orchestra is a group both Adel and I love. They may not be siblings, but their music is slick, and their style is very relaxing and moving. Our favourite song by Manchester Orchestra is, ‘I Know How to Speak’. It’s very atmospheric.”
Adel said, “There are so many artists that I find inspiring, but I think groups like Anthony and the Johnsons are really special. They have a mysterious and almost ethereal sound, and of course Anthony’s voice is totally unique. The songs ‘Thank You For Your Love’ and ‘Hope There’s Someone’ are really magical. They give me goosebumps, and that’s the best feeling.”
What made you want to become a family band?
Adel said, “We began learning how to play the harp separately. As children, we would take turns to do our practice each day, but never really ‘jammed’ together. It was a couple years after picking up our first instrument (which was the harp), that we decided to try playing a tune together”.
Adel continued, “I must admit, we weren’t very good! To be fair though, we had only just started learning, so it was a work-in-progress. But when we tried to play a tune together on two harps it was so much fun!”
Karina said, “Yes, I agree. We never really thought it would lead us to where we are now. We were just two children having fun with music. But I also think that it’s the best way to become a musician. If you love what you do, and the passion is there, then you hear that in the music. It’s crucial to being a performing artist, and as a writer. You have to have those feeling and emotions to be a creative.”
As a family band, who has what role?
Karina said, “Oooh, that’s really hard to answer! There’s so much we share and contribute to, it’s not really a black and white thing. There will be times one of us will come up with an idea for a song, but we’ll both get involved and run with it together. That’s the best thing about being in a family band.”
Adel said, “Yes, I’d say the same thing. There’s no clear-cut role that each of us assumes. Because we both play the harp and both sing, we chop and change. Although one thing that almost always stays the same are the harmony parts of the songs. Although we both write them, it’s Karina who will take the lead on the harmonies. She’s amazing at them, so it makes sense.”
What are some of the best family band songs that you love to listen to?
Adel said, “We are totally biased, but as harpists and singers, we love listening to a good family band. You can hear their connection and also the joy they have when they perform together.
These are some of the family band songs we love listening to and think everyone should have at least one of these songs on their playlist…
We grew up listening to songs by the BeeGees, (it’s one of our mum’s favourite groups), so we inherently know most of the songs and lyrics. But these are the top two BeeGees songs for us:
- How Deep Is Your Love https://youtu.be/XpqqjU7u5Yc
- Massachusetts https://youtu.be/4XWYefe9EzI
We love performing Oasis covers on the harps because they are such a crowd pleaser. Everyone knows and loves them!
- Wonderwall https://youtu.be/bx1Bh8ZvH84
- Don’t Look Back in Anger https://youtu.be/cmpRLQZkTb8
The Jackson 5 are a favourite for many couples, we love playing them on the harps for weddings, these two songs are iconic.
- I’ll Be There https://youtu.be/VzLzUqdGBNo
- I Found That Girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Rt3e27On4
The Everly Brothers
A band that’s a favourite for our dad, the Everly Brothers wrote some lovely songs.
- All I Have To Do Is Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbU3zdAgiX8
- Devoted To You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LboNYB_oKTY
First Aid Kit
Two sisters, just like us, First Aid Kit are one of our favourite modern female duos. Their harmonies are absolutely perfect and the songs they write are lyrical and emotional, if you haven’t listened to them, we urge you to take the time out, as we are sure you will love them as much as we do.
- Emmylou https://youtu.be/PC57z-oDPLs
- My Wild Sweet Love https://youtu.be/-JZ0GY9tWDQ
Who doesn’t love The Proclaimers? Their most famous song 500 miles has been covered by lots of different artists, and that makes The Proclaimers unforgettable.
- I’m Gonna Be (500 miles) https://youtu.be/tbNlMtqrYS0
- Let’s Get Married https://youtu.be/YEpmUUEkrKM
We love the Jonas brothers because they are a contemporary modern pop trio who grew up playing music at home.
- Sucker https://youtu.be/CnAmeh0-E-U
- What A Man Gotta Do https://youtu.be/XejVB_fba04
Karina absolutely loves Sam Smith, so when they collaborated with Disclosure, she fell in love with the song ‘Latch’. We didn’t want to forget to mention them in this list!
- Latch https://youtu.be/93ASUImTedo
- You & Me https://youtu.be/W_vM8ePGuRM
The Beach Boys
The perfect band to listen to when you need a pick-me-up. Lighthearted and just fun, they are a must to add to any playlist!
- Wouldn’t it Be Nice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo
- I Get Around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wREBD2og5iY
For anyone who loves alternative rock songs, this band is a perfect match. Moody guitars and heavy percussion. Why not?
- Pyramid Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M_Gg1xAHE4
- Creep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk
We have to admit we haven’t listened to many songs by the ‘Kinks’, but here are two we really do enjoy.
- You Really Got Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go
- Lola https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU
An amazing group of three young women. We love HAIM with their catchy songs and alternative pop feel good tracks.
- Want You Back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQfcG-eimk
- Summer Girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjuA_o6Jzyo
Harry and the Potter
This rock group is famous for its catchy songs inspired by the JK Rowling’s series of books and films ‘Harry Potter’. Karina is a super fan of both Harry Potter and the band, so it’s no surprise this group was included!
- I Am a Wizard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dji9Cx-dBI
- Gone Campin’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V16HreKYyno
2 of Harps
We couldn’t miss ourselves off the list. As singer-songwriters, although we don’t listen to our own music often, (once it’s been released), mum and dad do, and we know our fans love it. So here are our two favourite songs we have written, performed, and released so far!
- Our Past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ahtQBewi0
- This Christmas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNF32jGM6kQ
We hope you enjoyed reading (and listening to) our blog. There’s lots more music content here… https://2ofharps.com/our-latest-blogs/
2 thoughts on “Who Are the Best Family Bands?”
I think worth a mention are The Mona Lisa Twins. Two Austrian sisters who are so proficient musically and sing so well together.