(That Can Also Be Played on the Harp)
100 songs… 6 hours… and 21 minutes
Welcome back to our blog! If it’s your first time here with us, we hope you’ll enjoy reading this blog as much as we did writing it. We are 2 of Harps, Adel and Karina, musicians; vocalists and harpists.
We all know Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and with that, comes the pressure of planning something special to do together. You’ll probably be asking yourself, “How can I make Valentine’s extra special this year?”. (More about Valentine’s Day here)
One thing we know as a multi-award winning harp duo, is that music is a MUST when planning a surprise. It really helps to create those treasured memories and bring that relaxed vibe and lovely atmosphere. Whatever you plan to do with your partner this year, let it be to the best romantic soundtrack.
If you’re planning to book a live musician such as a harpist, or a harp duo, we have selected the best songs which sound amazing performed on an acoustic instrument. In fact, some of these are our absolute favourites to play!
What type of music should I have Playing on Valentine’s Day?
Valentine’s Day is known for its romance, cupid and love hearts. If you’re wondering what music you should include in your romantic playlist this year, we’d be delighted to share our favourite Valentine’s Day music with you.
Feel free to pick and mix songs from each of our ‘Top Ten’ playlists, and create a compilation you’ll play year after year.
Before we begin… here are a few handy tips to bear in mind.
- Just because a song has the word ‘Love’ (or any other romantic gesture), doesn’t mean it is romantic! Be careful and double check the lyrics and meaning of your favourite songs!
- Slow ballads make great romantic additions to your Valentine’s Day music playlist, but we would definitely recommend adding something slightly more uptempo too.
- Don’t worry about including more than one song by the same artist. If you love it, then add it!
- Keep the vibe of the playlist feeling ‘light’. We know that some classical music pieces can sound wonderful playing in the background of a candlelit dinner. But just because it’s classical, doesn’t mean it’s romantic. Classical music often has dramatic dynamic and tempo changes, so you may find it difficult to set the right volume balance. Maybe try choosing more contemporary classical pieces for a lighter touch.
1. What are the Top Ten most romantic indie songs?
These songs are perfect for couples looking to add something different to a romantic playlist. Music from some of the best indie bands from across the world, all here for your Valentine’s Day soundtrack.
- Lovesong || The Cure
Lyrics: However Far Away, I will always love you.
ps. Did you know that Robert Smith wrote this song for his wife’s wedding?
2. Chasing Cars || Snow Patrol
Lyrics: If I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?
3. Songbird || Oasis
Lyrics: She’s a little pirate in my mind, singing song of love to pass the time.
4. Maps || Yeah Yeah Yeas
Lyrics: Wait… they don’t love you like I love you
5. Heartbeats || Jose Gonzalez
Lyrics: One night of magic rush, the start a simple touch
6. Only Love || Ben Howard
Lyrics: And I’ll be yours to keep, a wind in the shadow, a whale song in the deep.
7. Say Something Loving || The XX
Lyrics: You say something loving, it’s so overwhelming, the thrill of affection
8. Skinny Love || Bon Iver
Lyrics: In the morning I’ll be with you, but it will be a different kind
9. Strange and Beautiful || Aqualung
Lyrics: And when I wake you, I’ll be the first thing you’ll see.
10. I Don’t Want to Change You || Damien Rice
Lyrics: Wherever you are, well know that I adore you, No matter how far.
2. What are the Top Ten modern pop love songs?
These ten love songs are the perfect choice for modern day couples. Great modern day artists and bands bringing a romantic atmosphere with powerful ballads and lyrics.
- Lightning || Bag Raiders, the Kite String Tangle
Lyrics: I’ve been walking this world alone. Never thought I needed anyone like you.
- Love You Like a Song || Selena Gomez & the Scene
Lyrics: Constantly, boy you played through my mind like a symphony
- All to Myself || Dan + Shay
Lyrics: I want you here in my arms, we’ll hide away in the dark
- All My Love || George Ezra
Lyrics: No matter where you go, baby I’ll be there
- Stuck on You || Meiko
Lyrics: Cause you are the one I could see having fun with. Not just for the night, but for the rest of my life
- Magic || Coldplay
Lyrics: Call it magic, call it true. I call it magic when I’m with you.
- I Do || Morgan Evans
Lyrics: Wanna hold you forever. No I ain’t ever been so sure
- Love You For a Long Time || Maggie Rogers
Lyrics: I feel the fever and I knew he was mine. Oh I, I’m gonna love you for a long time.
- You’ve Got the Love || Florence + The Machine
Lyrics: Now and then it seems life is just too much. But you’ve got the love I need to see me through.
- Blue Jeans by Lana Del Ray
Lyrics: I told you no matter what you did I’d be by your side.
3. What are the Top Ten classic love songs?
Are you more of a classic music fan? Then these top ten songs will sweep you and your partner off your feet.
- Can You Feel the Love Tonight || Elton John
Lyrics: Can you feel the love tonight? It is where we are
- L-O-V-E || Nat King Cole
Lyrics: Love is made for me and you
- Endless Love || Diana Ross
Lyrics: My love, there’s only you in my life
- At Last || Etta James
Lyrics: And here we are in heaven, for you are mine, at last
- I Just Called to Say I Love You || Stevie Wonder
Lyrics: And I mean it from the bottom of my heart
- Up Where We Belong || Joe Cocker
Lyrics: Love lifts us up where we belong
- (Everything I Do) I Do It For You || Bryan Adams
Lyrics: You know it’s true, everything I do, I do it for you
- The First Time Ever I Saw You Face || Roberta Flack
Lyrics: My love, and it would last, till the end of time
- Have I Told You Lately That I Love You || Rod Stewart
Lyrics: There’s a love that’s divine, and it’s yours and it’s mine
- Unforgettable || Natalie Cole ft. Nat King Cole
That someone so unforgettable, thinks that I am unforgettable too
4. What are the Top Ten rock and alternative love songs?
Metallica on the harps? A great question, and yes it really does sound wonderful. These ten songs may be rock and alternative, but they are by no means less romantic.
- I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing || Aerosmith
Lyrics: I don’t want to fall asleep, cause I’d miss you babe, and I don’t wanna miss a thing
- Nothing Else Matters || Metallica
Lyrics: Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters
- Sweet Child O’ Mine || Guns ’N Roses
Lyrics: Now and then when I see her face, she takes me away to that special place
- With or Without You || U2
Lyrics: I can’t live, with or without you
- Friday I’m in Love || The Cure
Lyrics: It’s a wonderful surprise, to see your shoes and your spirits rise
- Flightless Bird, American Mouth || Iron & Wine
Lyrics: Stole me a dog eared map, and called for you everywhere
- Wherever You Will Go || The Calling
Lyrics: Way up high, or down low, I’ll go wherever you will go
- You and Me || Lifehouse
Lyrics: And I don’t know why, I can’t keep my eyes off of you
- And I Love Her || The Beatles
Lyrics: I give her all my love, that’s all I do
- Head Over Feet || Alanis Morissette
Lyrics: And don’t be surprised if I love you for all that you are, I couldn’t help it
5. What are the Top Ten boy band love songs?
There’s nothing more romantic than a boy band singing you a love song. We have chosen an eclectic mix of artists from the Joans Brothers to The Calling and the BeeGees. What’s not to love?
- Glad You Came || The Wanted
Lyrics: And all that counts, is here and now, my universe will never be the same, I’m glad you came
- Chloe (You’re that One That I Want) || Emblem3
Lyrics: You and I deserve to be forever everlasting, you’re the one I want
- Burnin’ Up || Jonas Brother
Lyrics: Cause I’m burning up, burning up, for you baby
- Little Things || One Direction
Lyrics: I’m in love with you, and all your little things
- For You || The Calling
Lyrics: I’m there for you no matter what, I’m there for you, never giving up
- Iris || Goo Goo Dolls
Lyrics: And I’d give up forever to touch you, cause I know that you feel me somehow
- I Wanna Grow Old With You || Westlife
Lyrics: Sharing everything you do, I want to grow old with you
- Greatest Day || Take That
Lyrics: Stay close to me. Watch the world come alive tonight, stay close to me
- How Deep Is Your Love || BeeGees
Lyrics: We belong to you and me
- This I Promise You || NSYNC
Lyrics: I’ve loved you forever, in lifetimes before
6. What are the Top Ten country love songs?
We personally love a bit of country, and grew up to the voices of Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Of course we had to include Lady A and Shania Twain.
- Islands in the Stream || Dolly Parton
Lyrics: Hold me closer and I feel no pain, every beat of my heart, we got something going on
- When I Said I Do || Clint Black
Lyrics: Be faithful and true, devoted to you
- I Run To You || Lady Antebellum
Lyrics: And our love’s the only truth, that’s why I run to you
- Don’t You Wanna Stay || Jason Aldean
Lyrics: Oh you feel so perfect baby
- Buy Me A Rose || Kenny Rogers
Lyrics: I’m gonna hold you tonight, do all those little things
- Making Memories Of Us || Keith Urban
Lyrics: And I’m gonna love you like nobody loves you
- Feels So Right || Alabama
Lyrics: So hold me close and love me, give my heart a smile
- You’re Still the One || Shania Twain
Lyrics: The only one I dream of, you’re still the one I kiss goodnight
- I’ll Still Be Loving You || Restless Heart
Lyrics: And I’ll need you, till all the mountains are valleys, and every ocean is dry, my love
- You and I || Crystal Gayle
Lyrics: And now, your love is my reward, and I love you even more, than I ever did before
7. What are the Top Ten upbeat love songs?
Relaxing music is perfect for a candlelit dinner, but if you’re looking for something more upbeat, we would definitely recommend these ten uptempo love songs…
- Dreams || The Cranberries
Lyrics: Now I tell you openly, you have my heart so don’t hurt me
- Teenage Dream || Katy Perry
Lyrics: Let’s go all the way tonight, no regrets, just love
- Can’s Stop the Feeling || Justin Timberlake
Lyrics: And under the lights when everything goes, nowhere to hide when I’m gettin’ you close
- You Make My Dreams || Hall & Oates
Lyrics: What I Want, you’ve got
- Your Love || The Outfield
Lyrics: I don’t want to lose your love tonight
- September || Earth, Wind & Fire
Lyrics: Now December found the love we shared in September
- Love You Like a Love Song || Selena Gomez
Lyrics: There’s no way to describe what you do to me
- Adore You || Harry Styles
Lyrics: I’d walk through fire for you, just let me adore you
- Ain’t Nobody || Chaka Khan
Lyrics: Happened so naturally, I did not know it was love
- Señorita || Shawn Mendes
Lyrics: I love it when you call me señorita
8. What are the Top Ten love songs by female artists?
These songs are by some of the female music icons. They sound beautiful on the harp, and include some of our all time favourite songs.
- Time After Time || Cyndi Lauper
Lyrics: If you fall, I will catch you, I’ll be waiting, time after time
- The Power Of Love || Celine Dion
Lyrics: Cause I’m your lady, and you are my man
- I Love You Always And Forever || Donna Lewis
Lyrics: Everywhere I will be with you, everything I will do for you
- Love Story || Taylor Swift
Lyrics: You’ll be the prince and I’ll be the princess, it’s a love story, baby just say, yes
- As Long As I Got You || Lily Allen
Lyrics: Together and forever just you and me
- The Man With The Child In His Eyes || Kate Bush
Lyrics: He’s very understanding and he’s so, aware of all my situations
- A Thousand Miles || Vanessa Carlton
Lyrics: Cause you know I’d walk a thousand miles, if I could just see you
- Love Me Like You Do || Ellie Goulding
Lyrics: Follow me through the dark, let me take you past the satellites
- Lost In Your Eyes || Debbie Gibson
Lyrics: I get lost in your eyes, and I feel my spirits rise
- Wings || Birdy
Lyrics: I just wanna be by your side, if these wings could fly, for the rest of our lives
9. What are the Top Ten love songs by male artists?
These male singers bring the love into ‘love song’. Modern, alternative and classic songs from every type of artists…
- She Got A Way || Billy Joel
Lyrics: She’s got a way of pleasing, I don’t know what it is, there doesn’t have to be a reason, anyway
- Such Great Heights || Iron & Wine
Lyrics: Come down now, they’ll say, but everything looks perfect from far away, come down now, but we’ll stay
- I Will Follow You Into the Dark || Death Cab For Cutie
Lyrics: Just our hands clasped so tight, waiting for the hint of a spark
- Better || Khalid
Lyrics: Nothing feels better than this
- Annie’s Song || John Denver
Lyrics: Let me alway be with you, come let me love you, come love me again
- All Of Me || John Legend
Lyrics: You’re my end and my beginning, even when I lose, I’m winning
- Something In The Way She Moves || James Taylor
Lyrics: And if I’m well, you can tell she’s been with me now
- New Tattoo || James Arthur
Lyrics: And i’ll be so happy that I’m stuck with you, and we cannot deface in any weather
- When You Say Nothing At All || Ronan Keating
Lyrics: The touch of your hand says you’ll catch me wherever I fall
- Nancy Mulligan || Ed Sheeran
Lyrics: I’m gonna marry the woman I love, down by the Wexford border
10. What are the Top Ten fun love songs?
For couples who love to have fun together, we have chosen these ten songs. They are lighthearted and have quirky lyrics. Definitely worth a listen!
- The Idea of Growing Old || The Features
Lyrics: We can lay around, and count the number of times, I’ve acted foolish, an you’ve rolled your eyes
- Sleepy Tigers || Her Space Holidays
Lyrics: So they see, you and me, dancing in our sleepy clothes
- The Way I Am || Ingrid Michaelson
Lyrics: Cause I love you more than I could ever promise
- Sweeter Than This || Katie Herzig
Lyrics: I’ll feed you ramen, and you’ll braid my hair
- Sweet Pea || Amos Lee
Lyrics: You’re the only reason I keep coming home
- Home || Edward Sharpe
Lyrics: You’re the apple of my eye, I’ve never loved one like you
- Here Is a Heart || Jenny One Youngs
Lyrics: Dripping with love, I bring you a thing you need most
- Mango || Catey Shaw
Lyrics: Oh sweet mango baby, won’t you be mine?
- Darlin’ || Dave Barnes
Lyrics: How bout a kiss, honey I’ll meet you half way
- Vintage || High Dive Heart
Lyrics: You’re timeless like an old stack of vinyl, hundred year old bottle of wine-o
We hope you have enjoyed reading our blog, and listening to our Top 100 Valentine’s Day Songs. We wish you and your partner a wonderful Valentine’s Day, however you choose to celebrate.
Why not have a look at our music playlists here https://2ofharps.com/musicplaylists/. They are perfect for a candlelit dinner, or as inspiration for a wonderful day together.